Rhode Island College – Gaige Hall

November 22nd, 2017

Gaige Hall is the home to the Dean of Arts and Sciences, the Departments of Anthropology, Modern Languages, Philosophy, Political Science and Sociology; and the Audiovisual Department and Audiovisual Help Center. Built in 1966, Gaige Hall faced a series of infrastructure problems that greatly affected the learning environment including extreme fluctuations in temperature, lack of natural light, and poor acoustics. Built at a time when teaching and learning methodology favored a more segregated and inward environment, the floor plan lacked many common and gathering areas.

The renovation and addition to Gaige Hall completely reorganized the departments and classrooms; creating integrated collaborative zones throughout the building to provide flexibility to the various user groups. The program was laid out in a manner that establishing more open, light-filled spaces that encourage a sense of community and provide areas for gathering, group study, and casual meetings. A small addition makes a connection on the third level of the building, creating additional space for new student lounges areas with power stations for technology, and a large multipurpose room overlooking the quad. The multipurpose room further opens up the building to allow natural daylight to penetrate the interior. A 334-seat auditorium with improved sightlines, updated acoustics and state of the art sound system is one of the new features of the building.

The modernization and upgrade of the building envelope and mechanical systems combined with the incorporation of accessible design re-establishes Gaige Hall as a campus destination.

Read what RIC has to say about Gaige Hall here.

Photography by Nat Rea.

Franklin Public Library Ground Breaking

December 16th, 2016

June 3, 2016 – The Franklin Public Library, established in 1790, is widely considered to be the nation’s first public library. The library collection was started with the donation of 116 books from Benjamin Franklin. The current library was built in 1904 and added onto in 1989. Faced with the need to make internal improvements and a shortage of the space needed to accommodate a record number of library visitors resulting from a surge in the Town’s population, the decision was made to move forward with the recommendations of a previously completed study.

LLB Architects, hired to design the historic restoration, renovation, and 6,000 square foot addition to existing 22,000 square foot building, worked closely with the library, town and community to develop a solution that would meet their goals. The project will increase the capacity of the general stacks, provide much needed meeting and community rooms, increase the size of the children’s room, and create a young adult room. Additionally, the building’s heating, air conditioning and sprinkler systems will be updated.

The ground breaking ceremony held today was the celebration of the start of a long anticipated project within the Town of Franklin.franklin-library-ground-breaking