Franklin Public Library

The Franklin Public Library, established in 1790, is widely considered to be the nation’s first public library. The library collection was started with the donation of 116 books by Benjamin Franklin. The original library was built in 1904 and expanded in 1989. LLB Architects designed the 6,000 sf addition, restored and renovated the existing 22,000 sf structure. LLB worked closely with the library, town and community to develop a solution that would meet their goals. The addition increases the capacity of the general stacks, provides much needed meeting and community rooms, enlarges the size of the children’s room, and creates a young adult room. It also updates the entire building’s heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, and inserts a complete new sprinkler system. During the course of construction, the town added to the scope of the project by committing to additional extensive renovations and upgrades to the original building, tel/data systems, and original roof, resulting in significant, but value added, Change Orders. The renovation included the preservation of Memorial Hall, which contains the faux bronze plaque commemorating the dedication in 1904, the restoration of the original reading room with its priceless murals, and adds a custom designed climate controlled exhibition case for the original books donated by Benjamin Franklin.