Acton Memorial Library
Work performed by principal R. Drayton Fair, LEED AP, ALA, AIA, while employed at Tappe Associates. The original Acton Memorial Library, built in 1889 by Hartwell & Richardson, is a wonderful example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style and sits on the historic Acton Town Common next to the Town Hall. A 1966 addition expanded the original 1800 SF by more than 10,000SF but was built in a modern brutalist style. As requested by the client, the addition completely reclads the 60’s addition with a design more sympathetic to the Historic District. The new addition connects the original main floor level to the grade level expanded parking with a new accessible main entrance. The new entry facade continues and expands upon the design of the original building, blending old and new, without overpowering the original design. The interior design further expands upon the craftsman motifs utilizing woods and a classic color scheme throughout. The design was further enhanced by architect designed library furnishings and signage.