Franklin Public Library Ground Breaking
June 3, 2016 – The Franklin Public Library, established in 1790, is widely considered to be the nation’s first public library. The library collection was started with the donation of 116 books from Benjamin Franklin. The current library was built in 1904 and added onto in 1989. Faced with the need to make internal improvements and a shortage of the space needed to accommodate a record number of library visitors resulting from a surge in the Town’s population, the decision was made to move forward with the recommendations of a previously completed study.LLB Architects, hired to design the historic restoration, renovation, and 6,000 square foot addition to existing 22,000 square foot building, worked closely with the library, town and community to develop a solution that would meet their goals. The project will increase the capacity of the general stacks, provide much needed meeting and community rooms, increase the size of the children’s room, and create a young adult room. Additionally, the building’s heating, air conditioning and sprinkler systems will be updated. The ground breaking ceremony held today was the celebration of the start of a long anticipated project within the Town of Franklin.